Thursday, November 01, 2007

Diary of a Wimpy Kid


Middle School is hard enough. Combine it with a small brother, totally unreasonable parents who ground you from video games, a best friend you don't like, and people who are mean to you at school and what do you have? Just about everybody's life.
This will be a tremendously appealing read to a lot of 6th grade boys. The diary format, the goofy illustrations, and the sneaky, unpleasant tone that Greg has will make them laugh. They will identify with Greg's attempts at being popular, avoiding bullies, and making it through the wilderness that is middle school. Certainly much of the book made me laugh as well. I will buy it.
Did I like it? No. I read a good review at Your Neighborhood Librarian (http://yourneighborhoodlibrarian.blogspot.com/) that pretty much sums up how I felt, and I think that being an adult female does make it hard for me to like this book. Still, it will be good for students who have already read Captain Underpants a billion times. Perhaps that is the thing-- for me, it lacks some cleverness. Knowing that students would pick it up avidly, I wanted to like it more.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:22 PM EST

    On the front of the book it says,"a story told in comics"(or something like that) so is it somewhat a bookwith some pictures?

    ReplyDelete