Thursday, May 28, 2015

Armchair BEA- Social Media

Armchair BEASocial Media (From Armchair BEA)
How do you use social media to expand your blogging/writing horizons?  Social Media is all about networking and connections, and utilizing today's technology to the fullest.  Make sure you mention your own social media pages. Do you have another blog, maybe a Tumblr? Have a Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook? Or maybe there's an underrated social media program that you like.

So, here's the thing. I hate computers. And smart phones. Especially smart phones.

When I started blogging almost ten years ago, I didn't really think anyone would ever READ my blog, and several years, no one did. Blogging was just a way to remember all of the books that I read. I was a little surprised to learn that there were not only other bloggers who read middle grade novels, but whole organizations of them, like the CYBILS Awards. There were events, like the 48 Hour Book Challenge. Then came Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Young Adult Books Central, and Pinterest. Tumblr and Vine, which I still don't understand. If I wanted to, I could spend every waking hour connecting with people on Web 2.0 (remember when it was called that?) and never actually read any books. 

This is the first week of our school summer vacation, and I am being a bit of a bum. By that, I mean that I do the minimum amount of housework possible and read 8-10 books a day. I had great plans to participate in Armchair BEA and post stuff everywhere, but I hit a wall.

I can spend about two hours on the computer before I get itchy and need to shut the machine off and go outside to sit on the front porch with my dog and read!

Twitter:@msyingling
Google+: Karen Yingling
Pinterest: Karen Yingling @msyinglingreads
Instagram: @msyinglingreads
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2636606-ms-yingling
Facebook: Personal account

7 comments:

  1. LoL I can relate to the starting a blog to keep up with your reading adventures and then finding out about social media to promote. I think I read more when social media didn't distract me. I am definitely going to check out your social media connections. Great sincere post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I'm surprised sometimes that people read my blog!

    But I love my smartphone. I can look up maps when I get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Just shutting down and going to read with your dog. It can take so much time--all that social media-ing. You mentioned that you had daughters (who are vegetarians),but your blog says "especially for boys". Why is that? Just wondering. I have 3 boys--who are all grown up now, but I middle school books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found that the boys in my school had a lot of trouble finding books to read and realized that most of the teachers, librarians and bloggers I knew were all women! it seemed like an unfilled niches, so now I read a lot of football and spy books. Still looking for the epic comic fart novel, which I have yet to find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sitting on the front porch with your dog and reading sounds excellent. You go do that; you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm off to add you on GR. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the first week of our school summer vacation, and I am being a bit of a bum. By that, I mean that I do the minimum amount of housework possible and read 8-10 books a day. I had great plans to participate in Armchair BEA and post stuff everywhere, but I hit a wall. real instagram followers cheap

    ReplyDelete