Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Reading for a snow day

Blame it on the fact that I have spent all my money for the year, and have a book order for August that would take my entire budget. I've been working my way slowly through this and will not be purchasing:
Hemphill, Helen. Runaround. Aside from the disturbing, cranky Lolita-esque cover, it's a quirky Southern story set in the 60's, which is something students don't ask for. Also disturbing was Sassy's quest to get neighbor boy to like her. It seemed precocious for an 11 year old.

Kraft's Miracle Wimp is probably one I will look at again, because I love the title and the fact that the main character has that nickname because his last name is Mayo, but it was told in short anecdotes and was sadder than I had hoped.

Bauer's No Castles Here is quite an interesting blend of fantasy and inner city problem novel, but again, I don't have the readership for it.

Finished the death march through Lemony Snicket, and had I been enjoying it, I would now be disappointed. None of the mysteries are really cleared up. Who are all these characters and why were they making the Baudelaire's lives miserable. And being stuck on an island? There is just something I am not getting. If I still want to know what the V.F.D. is, the books must be compelling in some way, and we will give them points for using big vocabulary words.

1 comment:

  1. I feel kind of bad saying this, as I work for the company, but I'm not overly fond of most of the books from Boyds Mills. So, I'm in agreement about Runaround.

    ReplyDelete