Monday, July 14, 2014

MMGM- My Life as a Joke

18077768Tashjian, Janet and Jake. My Life as a Joke.
Published April 1st 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Derek has decided that he wants to get a little more organized so that people don't have a bad opinion of him, but nothing seems to go right. He thinks that dissecting will be cool in science, but the smell of the formaldehyde makes him pass out, he manages to split his lip and lisp all day, and ends up being in charge of the DOLL collection for a toy drive instead of something cool like DVDs or video games. He manages to do a good job of gathering a lot of toys, and realizes that one of the dolls is a collectible and doesn't turn it in. He has his friend's brother list it on E Bay and sells it for over $200, which he uses to treat his friends to a monster truck party... but ends up with a monster truck bouncy castle. His foray into E Bay ends poorly, and he has to come clean to his mother. He manages to use the doll to connect with an elderly neighbor who is having memory problems, and realizes that even the best attempts at improving himself sometimes fall short.

This is the fourth book in the series: My Life as a Book, My Life as a Skater Stunt Boy, and My Life as a Cartoonist.

Strengths: Students really like this series, and it's better than Wimpy Kid. There are vocabulary words illustrated in the margins that are vaguely interesting. This had a lot of funny situations and was instructive as well.
Weaknesses: I wish that these would have actual covers and dust jackets instead of the paper over board, which wears so poorly.

9 comments:

  1. I love these books too! I have seen them change boys into reader in one night. I agree much better than Wimpy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun series! I will have to check this out for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books are always fun and I've always loved the idea of the drawings matched with vocabulary words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a new title for me - and it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of these. I will definitely check these out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:11 PM EDT

    I have seen this series but have yet to open one up (cautiously when I do according to your cover concerns). I've been tiring of the Wimpy Kid series (although kids aren't) so this sounds like a good alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 12 year old girl still gravitates towards this type of series even while she reads Mockingjay or Harry Potter - provides her with immediate sense of accomplishment as she usually finishes reading these books within a day's time. I have a feeling she'd enjoy this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't read this series. I am glad you brought it back to my attention. I didn't realize it was similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid in format.

    ReplyDelete