Friday, December 16, 2011

Toot! Toot!

I'm mentioning my inclusion in this because lists of school library blogs are always useful.

This site encourages people to become teachers and school librarians. This is worthy in theory, but insanely cruel in practice. My district is currently looking at cutting over a hundred teachers, including a disproportionate number of librarians. My Latin degree is useless; luckily I didn't actually double major in the now defunct field of home ec.

Sorry. It's hard to feel very "Hooray, me!" lately. Feel free to comment and make me feel better!

http://www.teachercertificationdegrees.com/top-blogs/school-library/

5 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job-hang in there! Hope you have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I don't have anything to say that's helpful (my own degree was in Romance Languages) other than enhorabuena! I always look forward to reading you. And maybe one day to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly Reid9:49 AM EST

    It may be partly self-serving, but I know plenty of writers who are glad you do what you do. Our jobs wouldn't be much fun without librarians guiding readers to our work. Plus, you never know where you're planting seeds of book love, even if you never hear about it. I probably got on their last nerve, but I'll never forget the librarians at Atlanta PL, West End branch, where I spent two hours after school everyday waiting for my mom to get off work and pick me up. I tried to earn my keep by collecting books left on tables and drawing advertising posters for them, but they gave me so much more when they nourished my love of words. Thank you and your fellow librarian troopers for doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do they have any idea how famous/beloved you are? They may fire you--but at their peril!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll echo the "Hang in there" sentiments. We've gone through the budget cuts and things are getting better. It can happen for you too. If you get too low, think of Gene Kelly helping you shelve nonfiction!

    ReplyDelete