Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Blather- Things that make me cry at the end of the year.

Obviously, the fact that 18 books are still checked out. As I tell the children, it is important that their books are turned in, not only because other children need to read them, and there are fewer books to go around if books are lost and not paid for, but also because I want them to be responsible adults who never have to fear that their electricity is going to be turned off. Yes, there may be other things going on in their lives, and I am always kind and patient, but children who feel no responsibility at all about their lost books are going to have a difficult time dealing with the responsibilities of adulthood.

Because of my history of poor career choices (at least I did not pick up that minor in home ec!), I always encourage students to pursue studies in science or medical fields. When a student wrote me a thank you note that said "Ever since you told me about visiting Italy, you've inspired me to go there and open a cafe that has a bookstore!", I was appalled.

No, child! I don't even remember that conversation! Become a medical radiographer or a phlebotomist!

Oh, but doesn't a bookstore cafe in Italy sound lovely? Fine. I'll let high school crush her dreams.

I did like this one, though, and teared up a bit. "You inspire me to be a better person and to show others compassion."

There was also an 8th grade boy who came to me and asked for a list of book recommendations, because his older brother told him that I wouldn't be with him at the high school next year. I've never had a student do that before.

So, for those 8th graders who love John Flanagan and a tiny bit of sci fi, here are some things to read over the summer.
Adams, Douglas. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
Archer, E. Geek Fantasy Novel.
Brooks, Terry. The Sword of Shannara
Gaiman, Neil.
Jacques. Brian. Redwall.
Jobin, Matthew. The Nethergrim and Skeleth. Third book out in September, The Wyrdknot.
MacHale, D.J.
Maas, Sarah J. Throne of Glass (series)
McCaffrey, Anne. The Dragonriders of Pern
Nix, Garth. Has several different titles, mainly high fantasy.
Reeve, Philip. Mortal Engines (series)
Skye, Evelyn. The Crown’s Game
Westerfeld, Scott. Leviathan (trilogy)

Off to shelf read and make sure all of the series books are here and in order. And working on my Follett list for July purchases.

Ms. Yingling

2 comments:

  1. Your students are lucky to have you looking out for their current and future reading (and career) interests :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bookstore cafe in Italy sounds perfect. It's funny that you steer the kids towards science and medical studies. I got my undergraduate in chemical engineering, and was never able to get a job in the field. I now know that there are no guarantees, and I should have gone with my heart and followed my passion.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete