Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Seriously! What's with all the depressing books?!!!

Just looked through my "new book" carts on the Baker and Taylor school web site, but had to quit going through them after about 20 titles because I wanted to go crawl under the circ desk and SUCK MY THUMB!!

Happy. I want some happy books. No more dead parents, no more depression, no more horrific dystopias. Happy. Sunshine. Birds singing. Unicorns pooping rainbows. I don't care! As long as it is not as depressing as this list:
  • Blackmailed by a ruthless hacker who threatens to harm his family if he does not do as bidden…
  • Living within a lawless labyrinth dominated by crime lords and street gangs where teens are forced to traffic drugs and work in brothels
  • Having lost everything in a tidal wave in 1169 Sicily…
  • Seeking to overthrow her tyrannical mother to restore equality to faeriekind…
  • Devastated by her betrothal to a violent boy she does not love…
  • When their car breaks down, teens walk through a winter storm to take refuge in a nearby deserted town, but in the morning they see the town is populated with a deadly cult
  La la la la la! No more! Off to think happier thoughts with the following titles...

1170281 18192451 171669127907



6 comments:

  1. And why publish them in winter? Winter is already dark and depressing and cold (except for those of us who like it that way and should probably just move to Seattle already). More summer books in winter I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm with you on the rainbow pooping unicorns, I want some silliness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a good time to read The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had to set aside what I was reading to pick up the new Iggy Loomis book (a bit young for your crowd, but definitely fun). I find I have very little tolerance for depressing these days, too.

    And oh, The Trolley Car Family. Now I want to read that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me laugh with this post, though that was probably not your intent :-) It sure is a bit much, this seriousness.

    I'm all for some humor. Unicorns. Rainbows. Sounds like we need a fun heist story or something...

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I recommend Marcus Emerson's books? Lots of fun and none of the characters have really serious problems.

    ReplyDelete