Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pfeffer's Life As We Knew It

In middle school, I loved post apocalyptic tales like Z for Zachariah, so this one would have pleased me inordinately, as did my 8th grade daughter. I'm not usually one for books in journal form (e.g. Angus, Thongs), but as my daughter put it, it makes more sense this way. We get to hear all of her emotions. We both especially liked "Life sucks. Wish I had fudge." There were a few more quotable lines, but my younger daughter stole the book from me, so I don't have it.

Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice-- and here we get a little of both because an asteroid has pushed the moon out of orbit. Communications and utilities go down, food is in short supply, and people, in general, go nuts. Still, life has to go on, and I appreciated that we were shown a realistic family who does the best they can. Stock up on canned goods and kitty litter (I appreciated that they kept their pet-- wouldn't many of us try?), move everyone into the room with the wood-burning stove, and hunker down. I can see why this has been popular. Well-written, intriguing twists, fresh and fun voice in the face of obstacles.
However, on a personal level, it was not a good thing to read over a long weekend while I had the heat set at 58 degrees. I felt like I should stock up on peanut butter, as if the ten jars I got on sale wouldn't be enough. As a mother, reading post-apocalyptic novels, especially one this detailed, does not make me happy. 8th grader did admit that she now understands why I make her bike everywhere, as well as why I keep a well-stocked pantry.

Wonder if having this book will increase readership in The Beauty Queen from 1974? If you want more information on Ms. Pfeffer, check out her blog at:

1 comment:

  1. I just read this one last night/this morning. Holy cow, did it scare me! I thought she did a great job, and I was so happy to see that Susan's still writing.

    ReplyDelete