Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Future is Now

flashbak.com/1960s-space-age-fashion
-a-retrospective-10963/
When a science class was leaving the library yesterday, the teacher instructed the students to do the following when they returned to the classroom:

"Grab a Chrome Book and log onto Nearpod.com. I'll put your PIN on the white board."

When I was in 8th grade, circa 1978, this entire sentence would have been gobbledygook. 

It makes me want to construct sentences to say to my students using outdated phrasing that they won't understand. 

"Hang up the phone and grab some whole milk or Tang from the ice box; I'll stack these records on the Hi-Fi while we alphabetize your index cards so we can type your bibliography on the typewriter."

At least I'm wearing a granny square vest my daughter crocheted, so I LOOK as incomprehensible as I'll SOUND!

7 comments:

  1. That is awesome...it would be a good idea for a book. A sentence for each decade...which would use jargon and words from that time that wouldn't make sense now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha! That would be a great book. And Douglas Coupland should do the art. http://coupland.com/portfolio/canada-pictures/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this idea! I still miss Tang, but can't handle the sweetness of it any more. I'm of the age when we mixed powdered milk with whole milk to get more out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fed my children powered milk without the whole milk for the longest time, and then there was a rebellion! I've had Tang mixed with powdered Lipton tea as a "Russian Tea Mix" that was interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Librarians always look at me funny when I ask for the card catalog. I then have to backtrack and say, "Can you point me to an OPAC machine rather than a community Internet computer?" But it'll always be the card catalog to me. The Key to the Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Online Public Access Catalog! Don't think anyone has called them OPACs in years, either! Library Catalog. I think that's what we're going with now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could also tell your kids, "Don't leave the library until I stamp the due date on the slip!"

    ReplyDelete