Monday, February 08, 2016

Happy 10th Blogiversary

My first ever blog post was on 16th February, 2006, but the Cybils Awards announcement of the winners is 14th February, so we're celebrating early.

Why I started a blog is lost in the mists of time. I think I took a class where it was suggested; it seemed like a good way to be able to remember all of the books as I read through the hardcover fiction in the library. I was at the "M"s in 2006, and finished in 2011, just in time for my fifth anniversary. 

I always wished I had a better blog name!

This isn't the "sexiest" blog-- I don't do giveaways or interviews or talk about what's going on in the library. I'm not good with Twitter or Instagram or Facebook, and the Podcast experiment left me cold. 

I read as many of the books as I can; I opine. I base these opinions on interactions with actual tween readers. I try to be honest about whether or not I like a book, but also about whether or not my students will. Sometimes this is two different things. 

For now, this is enough. You want to know about books, scan my posts once a week. It's like reading a dozen or more books without the time commitment. 

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your tenth anniversary! I may not always comment, but I appreciate your posts very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, 10 years and so many book reviews is a pretty awesome accomplishment. Part of what I like is that it is a straight review blog (I don't like giveaways, etc). As for the name of your blog - well, it's straight forward what you do, so I think it is perfect.

    Here's to many more blog posts and reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that blogs are time consuming and social media compounds that even more. Best to concentrate on one thing at a time. Your blog is a great MG source for young and old. Best of luck on your next ten years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To tell the truth, you shouldn't change a thing about your blog--including the name! You've provided the kidlit world with an invaluable service these ten years and you've been a great inspiration to me. Here's to another 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 10 years of blogging! Thank you for all the books that you blog and review about, I appreciate all of your thoughts and opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog just the way it is, too, Karen. And I always find your reviews valuable. I especially like "What I really think". Congratulations on your 10th birthday! Wishing you many more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I have been enjoying and sharing your great blog for years ... but sadly not for 10. I think I only discovered it about 6 years ago! Mia from PragmaticMom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I love checking your blog. I always appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your blog name! Happy Blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Don't worry about not going blog-hop happy, your content is great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:19 PM EST

    Congratulations!!!! Well, I enjoyed the podcasts I listened to, but I really enjoy your book reviews - please do keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, you have great content. You've done a good job over your ten years, and your blog name is terrific. You've got that great last name going for you.

    But the podcast left you cold? I was looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Happy ten years! "Keep up the good work!"<-- imagine that in the form of a stamp with a smiling star on it, stamped in purple ink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're my go-to for middle grade - I'm always recommending you to library friends who need middle grade titles that will circulate! Here's to another 10 years!

    ReplyDelete