Saturday, May 19, 2012

Stitch by Stitch

Bull, Jane. Stitch by Stitch (Dorling Kindersley, 12 April 2012)
I love to knit and sew, and feel somewhat bad that I don't have any books on these topics at my library, having removed shelves and shelves of 1960s and 1970s books on macrame and knitting bizarre, scary toys that are sure to give children nightmares. This book is VERY pretty, and has excellent directions on a variety of projects that students would find easy to do. There's cross stitching, embroidering doodles, making buttons and felt flowers for jeans jackets, and knitting some rather cool things.

My one objection is the section on quilting, which I didn't understand at all. I've certainly seen a lot of paper piecing, but the instructions in this book completely ignore regular piecing and don't mention rotary cutters at all. I can see that, given how dangerous one could be in the hands of a 12-year-old, and maybe this is how the British quilt, but it seemed very bizarre to me. Still, since most of the projects are really nice, I may have to buy it!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, if you like this one she has another book, Made by Me. It has AWESOME projects - and it is very pink. We use it all the time, since I am always trying to get kids to do sewing workshops at my library.

    ReplyDelete