Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Summer Reading, Part One (For Parents)

I hope to get lists posted soon of particularly good books, but here is my first round of hints about how to keep students reading over the summer:

1. Make sure they have their own library card. This is good for school projects, too.

2. Take them to the library!

3. Have them talk to librarians about recommendations.

4. Read yourself. Consider reading aloud your favorite middle school title.

Woman's Day and Scholastic put out a nice article on summer reading that includes the following information:

1. Most children start losing interest in reading at age 8.
2. The number one reason children don't read more is that they can't find books they want to read, and need help finding things.
3. Children read more when it isn't stressful. Praise them. Make it fun. My daughter spent the summer after second grade reading nothing but I Can Read and Captain Underpants books, but she would read them ten at a time, and raised her reading level about three grades. Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT make your child read War and Peace because it is "at his grade level".

4. Children should read about four books over three months to maintain their abilities. This seems like a very small number to me.

For the parents at my school, Book Fair will be May 31 and June 1. I'll be glad to recommend books that your children will like over the summer!

No comments: