Monday, June 06, 2016

Sic transit gloria mundi... The 48 Hour Book Challenge

48 Hour Book ChallengeHands down, the best part of my year was always the 48 Hour Book Challenge, which is not being held this year. MotherReader, Pam Coughlin, started it in 2006. She thought ten years was enough, and I understand completely. It's a lot of work. Numbers have dropped. Life happens. 

Still, I miss it, and I asked Pam if she would be okay with me trying to revive it next year. 

I read books all year long, but the 48 Hour Book Challenge was my Boston Marathon of reading. I spent months getting books stockpiled (many participants read their BEA haul), cleared the calendar, and made sure Younger Members of Staff were prepared. I slept little. Personal hygiene suffered. I read A LOT.

But the best part was the time we were "allowed" to do social media. We could visit and comment on other's blogs, and later Tweet and Instagram. We were all a little punchy from lack of sleep, but it was an awesome feeling of community. I "met" a lot of new people and read a ton of new reviews.

So my plan is this: I'd like to see if there is enough interest to restart the 48 Hour Book Challenge, and refocus it with a middle grade/young adult/picture book crowd? 

Why? I always feel that there are more middle grade bloggers out there, and I am not finding them. We're a special group, and even though we have things like Marvelous Middle Grade Monday hosted by MG author Shannon Messenger and the kid centered It's Monday, What Are You Reading hosted by Unleashing Readers, I feel like we really need a Giant, online Kidlit party once a year!

If I can get 30 comments showing interest on this post, I'll put together a Google doc to get a feel for what people really want. There are never perfect dates, but it would still be after BEA, and probably toward the middle of June so people are out of school put not having to suffer through too many graduation parties. The way I envision it, it's little work for the participants except for adding your name to a Mr. Linky and READING. I would take care of details like prizes and general set up, but it would help if others would assist in spreading the word so more people participated. Perhaps we can get sponsorship or at least the interest of other Kidlit groups. (Cybils members' participation is always HUGE.)

So? You in? Thoughts? Opine, and let's get this party started! 

35 comments:

  1. Consider me curious to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested if it is during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to Freya's comment, definitely curious and interested (I'm a blogging newbie and haven't ever done the 48hbc before)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:37 PM EDT

    Sounds fun! I'll help spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah, I'm interested! I will miss the 48HRBC and would love an online reading party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I participated in 2014. I may have blacked out about midway according to the people sitting next to me at the ball park, but would consider another run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be interested! Being a public librarian, it doesn't matter to me whether it's before or after school's out, though. Actually, early June when you're out but I'm not is probably ideal, as I still have time at home without kids and the summer reading rush hasn't hit yet at the library. I'm really in it more for the catching up with books and getting to know other book lovers than for prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never done one of the 48hr challenges but would be interested in hearing more about it. If it coincides with when the kiddo is out of school then that would be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be a possibility...depending on the date.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be interested in playing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could probably only participate it it happened to line up with a weekend that my husband and daughter go away on a Daddy/Daughter weekend (as they do from time to time). But I shall certainly help with spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes, it would be fun. Pleasseee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count me in!!! I love the 48 hour book challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree: even though I'm busier than I used to be, I do miss the 48hbc. It really was a great opportunity to plow through books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a toddler, but I'd love to do as much as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never followed this and get most of my MG reading from you but sounds fun (except for that Linky stuff which I don't get).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would definitely be interested! I am a new blogger so I've never participated before, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoa, intense-tastic, but sounds like fun! Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm interested! Anything to get some books knocked off my to-read pile!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like fun to me! I haven't participated in this challenge before, so I'd love to give it a go alongside other kidlit readers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't ever actually done the challenge so that would be fun. Though I am a big fan of sleep so for me it might be more like a 36 hour challenge. I know. I'm a lightweight. :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the 48 Hour Book challenge and I'm sad it's not being held this year. I especially like when we get kids reading as well. Or when the kids just bring me meals on a regular basis throughout the weekend.

    Our school year ends ridiculously late (June 20-something, usually), so I just take whatever dates you give us. Let me know if there is anything you need help with. I love the idea of a focus on kid lit; maybe we could have some optional mini-challenges (Read 6 books out loud, read a book from each genre on the reading-genre wheel teachers keep handing out, whatever).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought I commented but I don't see it. I loved and miss the 48 Hour Book Challenge, and I'd love to see it come back. Let me know if you want help!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Count us in at GatheringBooks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love, love, love this challenge. And you know I adore MG :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous6:16 PM EDT

    I'm down!!! :D I'm so happy you're picking it up this year! :D I'm going to tweet this post and pin it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm looking to get back into readathons and reading more often this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm totally bummed that there isn't a readathon - I totally needed it this weekend and just went looking for it! Count me in for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, please! I loved the 48 Hour Book Challenge!

    ReplyDelete