Sunday, May 06, 2012

Nonfiction Monday-- Salem Witch Trials

Schanzer, Rosalyn. Witches: The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem.
Everyone thinks they know a little about the Salem Witch Trials that started in the 1690s, but there are so many details not covered in history class! This extremely well-designed book from National Geographic follows the events chronologically, and focuses on several of the accused and accusers to move the narrative along in a fashion that makes sense. While this reads almost like fiction (Schanzer does a great job at keeping things moving along by interspersing facts and anecdotes), it would also be a great resource for research, with extensive footnotes and a fine index. The author did the woodcut-like illustrations as well, and they contribute greatly to the fantastic design-- this is a small book with eye catching red and black color scheme, and even the font (Caslon Antique) adds to the period feel. It's wonderful to find nonfiction that is both informative enough for projects AND is something that students will pick up to read for fun!


Nonfiction Monday was started by Ana Suen and is hosted today by The Swimmer Writer.

I'll be hosting next week; first I have to survive the 8th grade trip to DC! I doubt I will be anywhere near a computer all week!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck in DC. I survived our 5th grade trip last month. It was great fun. Witches was one of the best nonfiction books I read last year. There are so many parallels to more recent historical events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic has always been fascinating to me. I am going to put this one on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss Yingling! Have fun in DC. This is the second time I've seen a fascinating review of this book, and I am truly intrigued. I better pin this so I don't forget and can search for it in our libraries.

    ReplyDelete