Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Shura and Shreve

The flunking of Joshua T. Bates by Susan Shreve is a bit low for middle school students, since it is about a boy repeating third grade. It would be good for fourth graders to read. A little heavy on the teacher going through a hard time as well, but I liked the student who was teasing Joshua being sent back to third grade for a day to see how he would like it!

Gentle Annie by Mary France Shura should have been better, but my eyes kept sliding off the page until chapter 3. Based on the real experiences of a Civil War nurse, something about it didn't keep my attention. Maybe the author wasn't sure about the past that she was constructing for Annie, so that didn't ring true, and by then I was not interested. I do think it would be good for students who are interested in the Civil War, because it gives a lot of details about a side of the battles that is not ordinarily covered.

Some days, no books seem good. Did enjoy the Dorling Kindersley Barbie book, so that tells you where my mind was. (It was a nice historical perspective, and, of course, well-illustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment