Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Beast of Stone

35068443Park, Linda Sue.  Beast of Stone (Wing & Claw #3)
March 6th 2018 by HarperCollins
Public Library E Copy

So, the problem with e copies is that it's hard to flip back to pages to jog my memory. I even read this one on the iPad so I could take notes-- then I returned it by mistake before I wrote the review. Sigh.

Basically, this wraps up the series (Forest of Wonders, Cavern of Secrets) nicely by having the Chancellor want to relocate all of the Afters in a slum clearing exercise. Raffa gets out of jail, although he doesn't manage to get his father out, and is able to take part in the rebellion by helping to heal people and to figure out how to get the animals to not attack. Nice use of plants as medicine, good relationships, and a talking bat. Definitely purchasing for school.

I did realize that this is perfect for fans of Hunter's Warriors books because of all the battle prep and fighting. Read this excellent article, "10 Reasons We Loved the Warrior Series as Kids" on Bustle for a good explanation of why these books appeal to some children. And yes, I'm one of those evil adults who suggests to children that they MIGHT want to occasionally read something else besides Warriors. Not all the time, just every now and then, so that they might find something else they really like.

1 comment:

  1. LOL, have the Warriors fans try WINGS OF FIRE by Tui T. Sutherland. My 13 year old son loves this series. She wrote for Warriors.

    ReplyDelete