Monday, April 09, 2018

MMGM- Crash


It's Marvelous Middle Grade Monday at Always in the Middle and #IMWAYR day at Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers. It's also Nonfiction Monday.

33784370
Favreau Marc. Crash: The Great Depression and the Fall and Rise of America
April 10th 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
ARC received from publisher at ALA

This nicely formatted book provides an understandable overview of some of the causes of the Great Depression, and the effects that it had on the people of the US. We have reached a point where students in middle school don't have a great understanding of this period of time-- they don't really even understand 9/11! When I was growing up, there was still a lot of talk about how hard things were, from not only my grandparents, but my parents as well. This is important information for students to know.

I especially liked that this included some information I'd not really seen gathered before. There was a nice description of Herbert Hoover's contributions to US politics before he got sucked into the vortex of the Depression and his name was forever tied with "Hoovervilles". The stock market crash and the dust bowl are well explained, but there are also chapters on the African American and Hispanic America experience about which I have not read before. I find the CCC fascinating, and knew several men who were involved in this work, although there could have been a little bit more about other WPA programs. The book ends with a bit of information about Father Coughlin and segues nicely into World War II.

Period photographs, many by Dorothea Lange, as well as reproductions of posters and flyers, give much needed visuals for readers who can't fully comprehend how bad the Depression was. A complete index and sources notes round out this well done book.

6 comments:

  1. Crash looks to be a very important read for young readers. I agree that many middle schoolers know very little about the great depression. When I had my great grandparents and grandparents telling me about this time period, my children do not have the same access. I would like to get my hands on this book very soon and see what historical fiction books might align well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one caught my attention. I'd love to read it, but I'd really like to see those photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This sounds like such an important book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a period today's kids really need to understand. This sounds like a really good book. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love history. I think I would enjoy this one. I grew up too hearing about the Great Depression from my grandparents. I am excited my library has a copy. I am looking forward to reading information on diverse experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Putting it now in my Goodreads stack - looks like a riveting read.

    ReplyDelete