Monday, July 02, 2012

Nonfiction Monday-- Girl Scouts

Nonfiction Monday was started by Anne Suen and the round up is hosted this week at Booktalking.





Corey, Shana. Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great Adventure

1 January 2012, Scholastic


This picture book gives an attractive overview of the life and drive of the founder of the Girl Scouts, and shows her commitment to helping girls be active and contributing members  of society. I thought that this was going to have more information-- it would be essential for an elementary library but doesn't have as much information as I wanted for middle school. The notes at the back of the book were very helpful, as was the list of resources.


Confession: I was a Campfire Girl during my formative years, and to this day am a little biased against Girl Scouts because of this. Is it my imagination, or do they think they are just a little bit better than Campfire Girls. Of course, it's now Camp Fire USA, and Camp Kiwatani is now an upscale housing development because the camp went under... okay, perhaps they are better. But we sold better candy.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this book was a wonderful girl scout resource for elementrary school libraries. Like you, I wasn't a girl scout (or a Campfire Girl) but knew kids who were and yes, I could see where the scouts thought they were better and more important that the Campfire Girls.

    ReplyDelete