Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Some Wallaces

Barbara Brooks Wallace does such fun books. Peppermints in the Parlor is one that I love to recommend for mystery lovers. Read Cousins in the Castle last night, and enjoyed that. Amelia is sent on a ship from London to New York after her father's death with an uncaring cousin, becomes separated from the woman and involved in intrigues. She is kidnapped, her clothes are taken, and she is left to survive on the street. Luckily, with the help of a boy she met on the ship who is involved in the theater, she finds her family. This had a very The Little Princess feel to it, thanks to the Victorian setting. I am looking forward to more titles.

Bill Wallace does a lot of animal books, and the students love them, but Snot Stew came perilously close to "talking animals" for my taste. (They don't talk, but the book is from the perspective of two kittens who are taken into a house and have some trouble adjusting. Sigh.) I am looking forward to reading the more historical fiction from this author.

Rich Wallace is usually my go-to guy for sports books, but Shots on Goal didn't do much for me. Maybe it was the kids drinking. Very attractive when the girl threw up and then the boy kissed her. Eh. I'll stick to his other titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment