Saturday, September 07, 2013

Saturday Morning Cartoons-- Little Fish

Little Fish: A Memoir from a Different Kind of YearBeyer, Ramsey. Little Fish: A Memoir From a Different Kind of Year
3 September 2013, Zest Books
Copy provided by Zest Books-- no idea why, but thank you!

This autobiographical tale about a girl going from life in a small town to college in the big city would be good for a high school library where students are contemplating what life will be like when they throw off the shackles of home and high school and exchange them for the shackles of college. Ramsey's experiences won't be the same as many students-- I didn't understand the apartment-like housing, for example-- but there are some eternal truths that are touched upon.While I'm glad that Ms. Beyer has been able to make art her career, the larger part of me wanted her to switch her major to something employable. Remember, I have a major in Latin with a minor in Ancient Greek and suffered many years of underemployment, so this made me nervous. Still, manga and graphic novel readers with an abiding interest in art will find this interesting.

Have recent grads heading off to college soon? Perhaps Little Fish will encourage them to keep records of their experiences and feelings.

2 comments:

  1. I need the second book. I think that the internet is good for looking up stuff you know you don't know, but a book like this might help me realize all the little ways I'm failing that I am not even aware of (though I sense they are out there....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Little Fish is on the Amazon Vine lists. I was mildly curious, but it sounds like something my high schooler would like, so I might check it out.

    ReplyDelete