Friday, August 14, 2026

The Invisibles

Kowitt, Holly. The Invisibles
August 18, 2026 by Feiwel & Friends
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Jimmy Stern has been to a lot of different schools, since his father’s job is to set up O’Grady’s restaurants around the country. He has a tendency to avoid making friends, since he knows he will just have to leave. Instead, he is deeply invested in the world of “Weird” Walt comics. When he stands up to Kyle Scott when he is bullying hall monitor Milo, and ends up dropping Kyle’s phone in a urinal, he gets sucked into a group of “outcasts” trying to make their way through middle school. He gets accused of having pizza delivered to Mr. Gratch’s class, and helps a girl with her dog. He eventually receives a cryptic invitation to the band room, where he meets the “Invisibles”; Max, Emma, Jamiah, and Finn. They encourage Jimmy to run as the secretary-treasurer for an Art Week in order to secure a spot for Weird Walt, to whom Jimmy has talked on the phone, to visit the school. In order for this artist to come, Jimmy must win the election. With Kyle hosting parties on yachts and pulling out all the stops, will the Invisibles be able to bring one of their own to power?
Strengths: Honestly, more middle grade story plots need to center around things being destroyed or dropped in urinals. Kowitt’s books (The Loser List, The Principal's Underwear Is Missing, This Dance is Doomed) are upbeat and firmly centered on all of the drama that occurs in a middle school. I loved Jimmy’s obsession with Weird Walt, and was JUST having a conversation with my daughter about the time in 2004 that Lee J. Ames CALLED ME AT SCHOOL after I wrote to him! This could happen! Jimmy is a reluctant hero who is happy to be with his people for a change. Loved how the students harnessed their rage.
Weaknesses: There were a lot of things that didn’t seem realistic in a school setting. Hall monitors in 2026? Kids meeting in the band room? A student role responsible for an author visit? Pizzas making it past security in the front office? Young readers won’t mind, but if a book is realistic fiction, I like it to reflect actual school practices.
What I really think: This is a good choice for readers who liked the school oriented shenanigans of Cosnter’s My Life as a Potato or Rylander’s The Fourth Stall. I’m debating purchase. I loved that this is humorous and upbeat, but am still bothered by details like a hall monitor wearing a sash. I might have just been having a bad day when I read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment