

It's
Marvelous Middle Grade Monday
at
at
and #IMWAYR day
at
Kingfisher. The Baseball Encyclopedia: Rules • Parks • Series • Teams • The Greats
August 5, 2025 by Kingfisher
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus
This relatively short (144 page) encyclopedia covers a qide range of topics about baseball, and is a gret overview to have on hand. There are chapters on playing the game, star players, strategy, leagues, stadiums and business, and different competitions, which is a nice mix of history, baseball lists, and practical advice for playing. While the star player section includes some iconic players like Babe Ruth and Ted Williams, there are also a number of players still currently working.
This is well formatted, with lots of photos, and text separated on the page by topic. Even though there is a lot in each section, it’s not hard to read or understand. The color choices seemed a bit different than many baseball books (which lean heavily on red, white, and blue), and had an almost 1980s feel with a turquoise, purple, and lime green palette and geometric shapes.
There’s a glossary, index, and great lists of statistics and teams, making this a good choice if you need to refresh your baseball nonfiction titles.
August 4, 2026 by Penguin Young Readers Licenses
E ARC provided by Edelweiss
This lovely virtual tour of various sites in the US is a great way to introduce readers who may not have traveled much to a wide array of things to do and see in our country. Topics include Made by Nature, Very Important Places, Wow! (tall buildings and impressive architecture), Washington, D.C., Remember (memorials), Sports Landmarks, and Unusual Attractions that even include the Longaberger Basket building not far from me! This ends with a great map, as well as a complete index.
The photos in this are great, and there's just enough information to pique readers' interests. I'm not sure that this includes the places that I would have included; I would have definitely embraced more of a historical theme and included places like Plymouth Rock, Mt. Vernon, and Lincoln's birthplace in Springfield, Illinois. I might have even arranged it chronologically. This method would make it much more tied to the Sestercentennial, though, so I can see why TimeKids decided to include things like sports venues and fun and quirky places. I still wouldn't mind seeing something that is more historical. We could throw in Thoreau's Walden, Williamsburg, and some forts while we're at it!
I will purchase a copy to have on hand for students who have a renewed intest in all thing US related, or who need something to pass the time in study hall. I'll put a note in it for the next several librarians that they should try to save it for the Tricentennial, along with the Sestercentennial t-shirt and pages from Paint by Sticker Kids: America pages that I had students do. I will not be around!

























No comments:
Post a Comment