Sunday, February 18, 2024

The Song of the Swan

Sutton, Karah and Hannuniemi, Pauliina (illus.) The Song of the Swan 
October 24, 2023 by Knopf Books for Young Readers 
Copy provided by Young Adult Books Central

Olga and Pavel work for Mr. Bulgakov who is a swindler that sells jewelry that Olga makes and enchants with her heartstring magic. In a beginning chapter, we are told that this magic started because a young man who was getting ready to go out into the world didn't want to leave home, and consulted the Spider Queen. She made it so that he would remain tethered to his home with heartstrings, but this magic eventually spread to everyone in the valley. Olga is an especially talented practioneer of this magic, but it's not enough to earn money to keep the three of them fed. Olga manages to steal some food, and to arrange a trade of meat pies by enchanting children in a nearby stall. When they have had to flee yet another town because they are being chased by the local magistrate, Olga decides to set off on her own to find the Scarlet Heart, a magical stone rumored to be hidden in the Sokolov Palace, and to be the source of great wealth. Pavel joins her, and the two set out. Olga is badly injured, and when she comes to, finds that she is being attended by none other than Baron Sokolov himself. Pavel is enjoying himself at the palace's nightly ball, but Olga is so weakened that she must rest. After a good breakfast, she is determined to investigate the palace thoroughly, find the stone, and steal it. Pavel isn't as sure, especially when he falls in love with one of the young women at the ball, Anna. Olga is especially intrigued by the aviary, and it is there that she uncovers one of Sokolov's secrets; the people who attend the balls all night long spend the day as swans! Sokolov has engineered all of this magic in order to try to find his beloved wife, who disappeared along with his unborn child. The magic is taking a toll on him, however, and he needs to replenish his magic. Will Olga be able to find out the secrets to the past as well as a way to support herself in the future?

I was unfamiliar with the plot of the ballet Swan Lake, but this is a reimagining of some of the plot lines. The most apparent was when Olga disguises herself as Anna in an attempt to get Pavel to focus on her mission to get the Scarlet Heart instead of on his love. This is a fine story on its own, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed it even more if I could see the parallels between the two. 

Olga's story is interwoven with narrative from a spider, who gives information about the heartstring magic, and how it effected some people who tried to use it. Of course, these stories end up being directed related to Olga and Pavel, but there's a nice air of mystery involved in spider spinning the tales! 

Readers who can't get enough of fairy tale related books like Baker's The Wide-Awake Princess, Colfer's The Land of Stories, Durst's Into the Wild, and Diane Zahler's fairy tale retellings such as Sleeping Beauty's Daughters or The Thirteenth Princess will enjoy this version of Swan Lake related characters. 

I'll probably send this on to another school. I just don't have readers for this kind of fantasy, and it would just gather dust on my shelves. 

2 comments:

  1. I remember this book! I think knowing the story of Swan Lake (former ballerina... heh) actually made it more challenging for me to enjoy this one because every time it deviated from the original, I was like wait, what? Once I stopped expecting to see the parallels, I enjoyed it a lot. I hope it finds some readers at the school you send it off to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this sounds a lovely fantasy, I do know the story of Swan Lake but I'm like Kasey and I'd prefer to learn that it's a re-telling after I read it - I would enjoy seeing the parallels then without being distracted as I read by comparing! Thanks for the recommendation and I hope it finds lots of love wherever it ends up.

    ReplyDelete