Tuesday, September 05, 2023

It Found Us and Lots o' Fantasy

Currie, Lindsay. It Found Us
September 5, 2023 by Sourcebooks Young Readers
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Hazel lives in Forest Park, Illinois, and is determined to start a pod cast about her investigations of various mysteries. Her recent cases have included the mystery of whose dog was pooping on the neighbor's lawn, but her parents (a busy lawyer and a stay at home father) caution her to stay out of other people's business. She doesn't heed this advice when she hears her older brother, Den, making plans with his best friend Everett to sneak into a local cemetery at night. She tells her parents that she is going to hand out with her best friend Maggie's house, but instead follows Den. It's a typical teen scene, playing hide and seek in a haunted location near Halloween, but when a storm blows up suddenly and there are horrible creepy noises, the kids scatter. Den and Hazel run into each other and flee, but they can't find Everett. They have the presence of mind to call 911, and soon the police are investigating. Hazel's parents become even more overprotective once it seems likely that Everett was kidnapped, and Den is beside himself with guilt and grief, but Hazel is determined to start an investigation, especially when weird things keep happening, like an overwhelming smell of smoke in her house that only she can smell. She and Den, along with Maggie (when she doesn't have to babysit her younger brother!) go to the cemetery to look for clues, and see a terrifying, ghostly figure-- a young boy with huge hollow eyes and a mouth that is stitched shut! They interview people, including Mrs. Forster, who recently quit working at the cemetery, as well as the caretaker, who is well aware of the rumors surrounding the presence of ghosts at his workplace. Mrs. Forster, who talks to them under the guise of an interview for a school project, confirms their thoughts that there is a ghost, and gives them some direction, but when Hazel goes back to ask another question, they find that she is being taken to the hospital for a possible heart attack. Hazel isn't surprised, because the spirits have been reaching out to her and Den as well, and they are terrified. As time stretches on, the adults fear for Everett, but Hazel is sure that if she and Den can solve the mystery of the identity of the ghost, they can get Everett back. Will they be able to do this without succumbing to the ghosts?
Strengths: I don't want to spoil the identity of the ghosts and their troubled pasts with ties to real life events, but I love that there was some history involved in this. I also really enjoyed Hazel's family. Even though her brother was older and annoyed with her a bit at times, they had a strong bond, which served them well in their ghost fighting. Maggie was a solid addition as well. Hazel's instistence on doing a podcast is unfortunately true to life; I had two students this year who wanted to do a true crime podcast and complained that the true crime books I had, like Jailbreak at Alcatraz, or Agent Kathy Puckett and the Case of the Unabomber weren't gorey enough for them. The fact that Hazel was concerned for her own safety and tried not to lie to her parents shows a great modern sensibility. Thirty years ago, children would have just blithely put themselves in danger, and my students often remark about this difference in older titles. This is still plenty scary, and Currie does the best ghostly footprints in middle grade literature. I'm a little surprised that I didn't have nightmares after reading this-- look at the cover! 
Weaknesses: My students developed a huge interest in scary stories during the pandemic, and I've struggled to keep them in murder mysteries. They love ghost stories as long as the ghosts are murderous. Hazel's investigations, and her lists of clues, slow this down a little bit for the readers who want a constant thrill ride. It's perfect for those who want a more procedural, clue oriented mystery, but I don't have as many of those. For most readers, there is a good balance of both types of mystery writing, but more ghosts and less investigation would not have hurt my feelings. 
What I really think: I definitely purchase all of Currie's work, and The Girl in White and Scritch Scratch are particularly popular with my students. The Chicago area setting is fun, and while I thought I knew where the ghosts had come from, I was wrong. This is always a treat! Another strong entry from a new and exciting force in middle grade horror. I'm seeing a panel in the future; think we could get K.R. Alexander as well? 

My daughter got married the Saturday after school was out, and I am staying at her house for a week (here at the end of May), watching her cat and driving around Cincinnati to visit people, walk in parks, and go to new thrift stores. I slept in until after 6:00 a.m. each day. The wheels are OFF, people. It's 9:12, I've accomplished nothing, and I'm fully intending on going on my errands today wearing running tights. If I see anyone I know, after being away from Cincinnati for 35 years, it will be shocking. 

The impact of my new surroundings on my ability to synthesize fantasy novels has not been good. The fact that (if I lay on the couch to read) Bella the cat comes and sits on my face doesn't help. Well, she lays on my chest and then puts her face on my face. It's weird. Pongo at least has some boundaries. Anyway, here's a bit of an overview of some of the fantasy books I read while "just on a little vacation".

Whitesides, Tyler. Janitors School of Garbage (Volume #1)
September 5, 2023 by Shadow Mountain
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Janitors came out in 2011, and my library copy is in rough shape. Whitesides' work reminds me a bit of Mull's Fablehaven; same publisherr, Brandon Dorman art, and a series after the original series. The difference in the authors is that while Mull's Dragonwatch spin off gets older and darker, Whitesides' School of Garbage spin off gets a little bit younger. 

Still all the fun of the original, but with a more "academy" feel to it. There are always readers who want to attend magical academies, and this is a great choice. If the original series falls apart and can't be replaced, this will stand on its own, so I will definitely purchase.

Mix, Rebecca. The Mossheart's Promise
1 October 2023, Balzer and Bray
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus
 
It's not easy to find middle grade books about fairies, but this would be a good choice for readers who enjoyed Carter's The Curse of the Phoenix, Mull's Fablehaven books, or Doshi's Rea and the Blood of the Nectar. Definitely a great woodland vibe to this, but also a lot of mold and damp that just icks me out personally. This will be popular with Warrior Cats fans who want something a little bit different. 

Melki-Wegner, Skye. The Deadlands #1: Hunted
April 4, 2023 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

While I have never been intrigued by dinosaurs, there are a TON of middle graders who are, and very few books that involved them. I'm still circulating Cole's 2010 Z-Rex, and still mourn the loss of Enthoven's TIM: Defender of Earth. The only newer title I have is Martin's The Ark Plan, and I had a student last year who wouldn't return it because he reread it constantly. 

So, need for dinosaur fiction in middle grade: HUGE. My interest in dinosaurs: Tiny. Dinosaurs made sentient because of asteroid? Oh, my. Wings of Fire meets Jurassic Park is an absolutely apt description. Will buy for all of my fans of the Nat Geo Dinosaur Guides. Love the cover. Looks to be a trilogy.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard of Lindsay Currie, but I'm still just a dabbler in horror and get scared easily. Haha! The Mossheart's Promise looks really cool. I bet that would appeal to at least one of the middle grade readers in my life. :) I just read The Deadlands: Hunted, and enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it is hard to find good mysteries for this age group. My nieces enjoyed a series by Peter Abraham and the ones I read were good. I liked A Girl Called Justice by Elly Griffiths but I think only published in the UK, which is a pity. The Karen Anckarsvard books I loved in junior high are long out of print - sad.

    ReplyDelete