Monday, August 14, 2023

MMGM- Blather, More Tales to Keep You Up at Night, AND Stinetinglers

It's
Marvelous Middle Grade Monday
 at 
and #IMWAYR day 
at 

Happy New Year! I'm writing this two weeks from the end of the 2022-23 school year, but this is posting on the day before we have students return. I love the beginning of the school year! Checking out all of those books. But the end of the school year? Not my favorite. Inventory. Mourning lost books. Shutting everything down. 2022-23 was perhaps the least pleasant of my 25 year teaching career, so I am looking forward to a better year this year!

I got permission from Picky Reader (here after the 2009 Ellen Potter interview!) to post about her May 27th wedding. It was a beautiful day, and everything went very well. She and Picky Partner put so much work into choosing the venue, the catering, and especially the music, which included a lot of older songs so that the guests would enjoy them. 

Her colors were green and yellow, but her attendants wore green, and yellow disagrees with me, so I found a gray dress for $6 at the thrift store. It was sparkly, like Barton's Glitter Everywhere.

Nell's necklace was a ring of my mother's, and I had on my mother's pearls and my grandmother's opal ring. Two of my cousins who came and I all wore the rings our aunts gave us for graduation, and my aunt Skyped in! Several of my friends came from some distance as well. 

My favorite moment was at the rehearsal, when they asked Picky Partner's dad to give him away! I had two good friends who helped me set up, and one took the leftovers back home. It was a good day, and they are very happy.

But back to books! 

These two titles are both something I will purchase, but they are both short story collections that are fantastical and scary in nature. Since I struggle with all of that, I'm going to just give impressions of these instead of detailed reviews. Sometimes, we just do what we can. 

Poblocki, Dan. More Tales to Keep You Up at Night
August 15, 2023 by Penguin Workshop
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Gilbert's brother Ant has been injured, and when Gilbert goes to the hospital to visit him, he sees a shadowy figure dart into the restroom, but when he looks for the person, finds a bag of cassette tapes and a player. Gilbert's been warned not to listen to the tapes, but he does. The tapes seem to change reality, and cause bad things to happen. They are somehow connected to the Bowen family from Tales to Keep You Up at Night, and also to a man who was employing Ant. Will Gilbert be able to save his brother?

Like Nance's Daemon Hall or White's Nightbooks, this is a story within a story. It's all deeply creepy, but I didn't pay enough attention to how all of the stories worked together. Poblocki's work is popular in my library, and it doesn't hurt that these books are right across the aisle from Schwartz's perennially popular Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I personally prefer his The Ghosthunter's Daughter or The Ghost of Graylock, but both of these story collections  will be a good fit for upper elementary AND middle school students, whereas the aforementioned books might be a bit much for fifth graders. 

Stine, R.L. Stinetinglers 2
August 29, 2023 by Feiwel Friends
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

The thing that I liked best about the first Stinetinglers book was that Mr. Stine prefaced each story with what inspired the tale. While I have collections of short stories edited by Stine (Fear, Nightmare Hour, Scream and Scream Again), it was good to see some original stories. It's circulated well, and I know that my students will also look forward to this one, even though I'm not as big a fan of this cover, which has a very 1990s vibe to it, maybe on purpose. Great stories for fans of this author as well as Lubar's Weenies story collections. I know just the student who will want to check this out first! 

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your daughter's wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably wouldn't jive with either of these books as well due to the horror elements, but it's very cool of you to read them anyway and make sure kids who want them can track them down! And I'm glad to see the update on the May wedding, because I've somehow gone 7 years without realizing you had kids—wild! I'm so glad your daughter's wedding went smoothly. Thanks so much for the wonderful post, Karen, and I'm wishing you tons of luck for this next school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely picture! It sounds like a wonderful wedding. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the wedding!!!

    I am not sure why I am only hearing of Spinetinglers now that #2 is out, but I definitely need to get them for my library!

    Thanks for the post, and happy reading this wee :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a beautiful wedding and a fun one! Congratulations. I like having short story collections on hand, but I don't like scary, so I will probably pass on these. Thanks for telling me about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such nice non-book moments. Have a wonderful new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the wedding and getting permission to share details. That is always something my kids and my wife fight about. I also had the least pleasant year of my 23 year career. Dan's books have variable popularity year to year, but I am going to check out the one you have here. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete