Tuesday, November 03, 2020

Top Ten Tuesday

I see this frequently at Head Full of Books. Since I don't have students today and my first meeting isn't for an hour, let's see if I can come up with Non-Bookish Activities. This is a hard one, since pretty much all I do is work or read books for work. Seriously. 

My Top Ten Non-Bookish Activities:
  • 10. Cleaning: I do a lot of this for some reason. 
  • 9. Cooking: Also a lot of this, even though I really don't enjoy it. Other people seem to like to eat and are not happy with apples and cans of tuna.
  • 8. Running: I can't say I enjoy running, and recent foot issues preclude too much of it, but I do miss it when I can't do it. 
  • 7. Thrift shopping: My mother adored the mall, and while I hate to shop there, I do love to ramble around the thrift store and buy the occasional sweater for my daughter. 
  • 6. Collecting Pyrex. Well, I used to acquire new pieces, but this activity is at odds with #10, which is veering into Swedish Death Cleaning. So I have a lovely collection, but am trying to give away pieces. 
  • 5.Watching BBC dramas: This is new since March. I try not to watch television (a misnomer-- I don't have one, so watch on the computer) because that is also part of my retirement plan. 
  • 4. Writing: This is cheating a bit, because what I write most about is books. My retirement plan is to write poetry and force my daughters to listen to it when they call me. 
  • 3. Sewing and random crafts like knitting: This summer, I am going to be making denim aprons and picnic blankets because a friend is giving me 25 pair of jeans!
  • 2. Quilting: I do this obsessively, but only in the summer. I made about 30 baby quilts this summer. I even have a quilting blog: https://cribquilts.blogspot.com/
  • 1. Walking: I walk everywhere, as I don't have my own car, although I do have one I can borrow. I also used to walk a lot with Sylvie, and may be driven to walking the neighbor's dogs over the summer. 
Even though I talk a lot about retirement activities, I have at least fifteen more years of teaching. I believe in planning for the long term, however. Saying I will do something when I retire usually means it is something I should NOT be doing now, like watching television or writing pointless poetry! I like to be productive.

13 comments:

  1. You have simplified your life, with no television and no car. I find that wonderfully admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleaning can be enormously stress-busting. You forget everything else; it's just you and the germs. Haha. I know all about it, my mum loves cleaning.

    And completely agree with you on the BBC dramas. Nobody does it better than BBC. Esp. period dramas, detective shows and good old comedies of manners. Happy TTT!

    My own post here: https://lexlingua.co/non-bookish-hobbies-top-10-tuesday/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a ton of walking, too. Hope your foot heals soon so you can get back to running.

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cleaning. I guess that could be considered one of my hobbies along with unloading the dishwasher and laundry lately. I feel like it's all I do. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I enjoyed cleaning. I do not. I need to start giving things away. I have way too much and I'm 74. It's time. I do love a good thrift store. Probably why I have way too much. The walking will pay off so much in the long run. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy cleaning too! I love walking everywhere and I watch everything on my laptop as well! Hahaha love your retirement plans!
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been doing a lot of running since the first lockdown, I hope your foot gets better soon. I do enjoy writing though I didn't include it on my list this week.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2020/11/03/top-ten-tuesday-288/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you have some fun hobbies (except cleaning and cooking, which I'm also not super fond of). My MIL is a master quilter - we have some beautiful ones that she's made over the years. I love that my kids all have quilts made with love by their grandma. Such an amazing gift!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to learn to sew and knit. It's a useful skill to have.
    Here's my list of hobbies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless you, the MS teacher! :) 9th grade was about as low as I could go! :) Fun hobbies. My aunt is a OCD quilter. I don't have the patience. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. My teen kids love thrift shopping too. Watching BBC dramas is something I enjoy doing too. Such good shows!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy cooking when I have a particular recipe to follow. Your quilts are lovely, it's been years since I've quilted. May need to pull out my material and plan out a baby quilt. Or finally pick up some knitting classes if they're available.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What wonderful quilts you make! And, hey, if you don't own a tv but watch BBC dramas on the computer you are, once again, right there on the cutting edge. There's a whole generation coming up that don't buy tv's because they stream through laptops, tablets, phones, etc.

    ReplyDelete