Monday, October 01, 2012

Nonfiction Monday-- Food Dudes

Mattern, Joanne. Ray Kroc: McDonald's Restaurants Builder
Mattern, Joanne. Ben and Jerry: Ice Cream Manufacturers
1 January 2011, Abdo's Checkboard Books


Ray Kroc: McDonald's Restaurants BuilderBen & Jerry: Ice Cream Manufacturers


These short (32 pages) books in the Food Dudes series are great fun. Food companies of interest to students are profiled, and the founders' brief biographies tell a little bit about what motivated them to start the business that they did. Plentiful photographs, clean layouts, and bright accent colors on the pages make these appealing. I would love to have all 8 books, but at $18.95 each, I'll have to think that through. The reading level on these is fairly low (4.5 or so), and the text somewhat stilted as a result. The Birdseye, Wrigley's Gum and Gatorade ones would be especially fun, since I don't know anything about those companies. Certainly, for a public or elementary library, these would be a must.

Nonfiction Monday was started by Anastasia Suen and is hosted this week at
Shelf-Employed.

Don't forget to nominate your favorite books for the Cybils Awards!

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how cool! My family and I toured Ben & Jerry's in Vermont a few years ago and it's more educational than I thought it would be.

    Too bad the books sound stilted, but I can see the appeal of them for libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:13 AM EDT

    Should SO not have looked at those pics this late at night when I am hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete