September 15, 2026 by Scholastic Inc.
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus
After getting together in fifth grade in The Taylors, our Indianapolis friends Teffy, Taylor, Tay Tay, and TS are back. This time, they are loaning the black bowler hat that they got directly FROM TAYLOR SWIFT HERSELF to TS, who is hoping to do well in her soccer tryouts. The parents have all warned that taking the hat to school is a bad idea, and the girls agree. They are all looking forward to the fifth grade class trip in February, and when it is announced during a school assembly that they will be going to Nashville, Tennessee, they are all super excited. The land of Swift herself? Of course they want to go. The only problem? There will only be three friends per room. This means that the group will be split up, and even though they try to crunch the numbers and game the system, they get split up. Teffy rooms with Taylor and Lucia Alvares who seems nice enough, even if her friends give the group a hard time. TS decides not to go because the trip is at the same time as her volleyball tryouts. This means that Tay Tay ends up with the evil Hannah, because she let Greta list her as a first choice. There are plenty of things to do in Nashville, but also some anxiety about not having a phone, being seen reading graphic novels, having a fear of the dark, and experiencing homesickness. Does any of it ultimately matter if you can stand on the same stage where Taylor Swift stood? Of course not. Further adventures with the Taylors are most likely forthcoming.
Strengths: Ah, class trips. I go often with the 8th graders to D.C., and know that this is a huge deal for middle school travelers. I love that the Taylors are good friends even though they have different interests, and I am glad that I am able to keep them straight most of the time! Hannah is the stereotypical mean girl, but the other characters are all pretty amenable and resilient. I'm sure I missed a lot of Swift references that young readers will understand more than I would. The details of Nashville are good, and it's always fun to have a vicarious travel experience. I will be looking forward to the next book.
Weaknesses: I couldn't believe that the destination of the trip was secret even after the parents had to pay a deposit; that just wouldn't fly at my school. Also, there would be no problem at all with requesting that four girls room together. Absolutely none. The problem is always kids who seem to have no friends who have to be put into rooms. Of course, the anxiety about roommates is completely real, and there had to be a way to make this possible, so I'll let this slide! Also, TS wouldn't have to miss the trip to try out for the team. That would be unreasonable. Other 5th graders would miss tryouts as well.
What I really think: My students were VERY excited to see these books, as well as the high school version by Elizabeth Eulberg. I don't usually buy pop culture books, since they can have a very brief life span, but Ms. Swift is so popular that these books will be worn out long before she goes out of fashion.

Weaknesses: I couldn't believe that the destination of the trip was secret even after the parents had to pay a deposit; that just wouldn't fly at my school. Also, there would be no problem at all with requesting that four girls room together. Absolutely none. The problem is always kids who seem to have no friends who have to be put into rooms. Of course, the anxiety about roommates is completely real, and there had to be a way to make this possible, so I'll let this slide! Also, TS wouldn't have to miss the trip to try out for the team. That would be unreasonable. Other 5th graders would miss tryouts as well.
What I really think: My students were VERY excited to see these books, as well as the high school version by Elizabeth Eulberg. I don't usually buy pop culture books, since they can have a very brief life span, but Ms. Swift is so popular that these books will be worn out long before she goes out of fashion.

























No comments:
Post a Comment