Monday, July 01, 2024

MMGM- The Tenth Mistake of Hank Hooperman

It's
Marvelous Middle Grade Monday
 at 
and #IMWAYR day 
at
Choldenko, Gennifer. The Tenth Mistake of Hank Hooperman
June 11, 2024 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

**Spoilers, which are somewhat necessary to understand the whole story.**

Hank is used to taking care of his three year old sister, Bridget (Boo) when their mother Geri is out working or socializing, but when she doesn't come home for a week, things get desperate. He's missing school, and they are out of food. When the landlord pounds on the door and says that eviction proceedings will begin tomorrow, Hank decides to head to visit the only emergency contact he can find; Lou Ann, who was a friend of his grandmother's. His grandmother passed away recently, which has taken away needed support. Finding a bus pass of his mother's, he packs a few things and heads to Rancho Renato. Lou Ann is suprised to see them, but since she runs a day care from her home, agrees to help them. Celia, who works with Lou Ann several days a week, was friends with Hank's mother. Social services is contacted, and everyone works to find Geri. Celia's brother, Ray, is a computer programmer who works from home, and since Lou Ann is not thrilled with having a teenager like Hank around (he's in 7th grade, but tall for his age), Hank starts to spend a lot of time with Ray and his dog, CPU. When Geri can't be found, Lou Ann arranges for Hank to start in the local middle school. Since Lou Ann doesn't seem to like him, Hank goes out of his way to do whatever he can to make her happy, especially since Boo is thriving under her care, learning numbers and letters and becoming potty trained. School actually goes well, and the kids are nice to Hank. Ana in particular takes a liking to him, and invites him to her birthday party. Hank starts playing basketball with Ray, and the coach at school notices his progress, inviting him to try out for the team. Hank is uncertain what the future will bring, so is hesitant to make committments. When he finally finds where his mother is, things are even more uncertain. His mother, who has had a problem with alcohol in the past, was arrested on drunk driving charges, and has to go through rehab before being released. When his mother shows up at school on the day of basketball tryouts, he leaves with her, even though he is apprehensive. He even tells Lou Ann he is taking Boo "for a walk", and is soon driving to Arizona with his mother. When she stops at a gas station and gets drunk, Hank knows that he can't let Boo in the car with her. He calls Lou Ann, but because of her past problems with a teenage son, she forces Hank to go into the foster care system. Hank knows he has made mistakes, but misses the strong and supportive community he had at Lou Ann's. Will he be able to regain it? 
Strengths: There is something both compelling and soothing about stepping into the shoes of children who have not been given proper care, and watching as they find a new and supportive community. Hank is such a good kid, and he takes excellent care of Boo. He's resourceful, but knows when he needs help. He love for his mother and grandmother is clear, but his desire to have Boo taken care of is what drives his choices. Lou Ann's feelings that she should take the children in out of her loyalty to their grandmother, but also he dislike of teen agers, are realistic competing emotions that ring true. Ray is a great character who has his own reasons for including Hank and Boo in his life. The best part of this, which Choldenko mentions in the end notes, is that the kids at school are accepting of Hank, even when he can't tell them everything about his life. They are kind, understanding, and help out when they can. Even Tadeo, Ray's nephew who is jealous of Hank for several reasons, is nice to him. When Geri returns, Hank has a major dilemma, and he handles it in a way that I think most 7th graders would handle it. It's his MOM. Of course, he goes with her, but when she puts Boo in danger, he must rely on his new, supportive network. While the most compelling thing in Hank's life is finding his mother and pinning down a living situation, he is also a typical tween, and it was great to see him try out for the basketball team, have an interest in drawing, and go to birthday parties. Even kids in crisis are still kids. 
Weaknesses: The only weaknesses I can find in this are that Hank is almost too well behaved, and the resolution works out too well. I had rated this as four stars, but considering how much the world needs hopeful stories and examples of good in a world that is often very terrible, I'm moving this to five, because too much optimism should be rewarded in children' literature. The current trend to show tweens how terrible life can be cannot be helping with the rise of anxiety in children. 
What I really think: This is probably my favorite of Choldenko's books so far. It's a great choice for readers who like hopeful, sometimes funny realistic fiction, and goes well with other modern books about children in foster care, including Galante's Strays Like Us, Winston's Shark Teeth, Moranville's Forget-Me-Not Blue, O'Shaughnessy's Lasagna Means I Love You, Bailey's Snow Foal, and Farr's Pavi Sharma's Guide to Going Home.

Barnes, Derrick and Tuya, Jez (illus.)
Who Got Game? Basketball: Amazing but True Stories!
January 2, 2024 by Workman Publishing Company
Public Library Copy

Wow. This had SO MUCH basketball information, and gets bonus points for including a lot of players from marginalized populations. It's formatted in a way that readers who like the Guinness Book of World Records or Ripley's Believe It or Not books will love, with lots of colorful illustrations, bold fonts, and fun lists. I'm definitely buying a copy, in a Perma-Bound edition, and it will be constantly checked out. I'm also buying the baseball book, but what we really need is a similar one about football, since that is the second most popular sport for which my students ask. 

For me, the formatting was a bit busy, and the lack of chronological organization made it very hard for me to absorb the information. Remember: I am not the target audience. I would rather have fewer illustrations, smaller text, photographs, and an index, since that would make the book perfect for research projects. 

Maybe someone will write that book, with more information about Earl Lloyd, Chuck Cooper, and Spencer Haywood, but for now, I'll have to make do with this engaging nonfiction book that will never be back on the shelf! 


(Overdue) Year End Blather:

Just finished Year 26 of teaching, and spent two weeks in cat sitting for Picky Reader. Since I didn't have to do household chores or talk to anyone, and devolved into a toast based diet, I was able to read and review about twelve hours a day. Also, watched BritBox more than I should have, because my daughter got a trial subscription for me. Was this healthy? Probably not. Restful? Sort of. Productive? VERY!

I spent three days taking 6 credit hours of college classes, as well as the Ohio State mandated Science of Reading course. I still need to submit my 28 pages of essays, but I got a 95% on the reading test! I did NOT want to do any of that work, so to make it interesting and challenging, I gave myself a limited time. Seemed to work. 

I've been very grumpy, although reading several good books recently helped. I'm fed up with the disconnect between what is being published and what my students want to read. Fed up with Instafamous people who have read a fraction of what I have. Indulged in some prattling to myself about how fantastic I am, and how no one appreciates it. This happens when I read books and don't have anyone to whom to recommend them. 

So, July. Going to scale back on the reading a bit, and do some quilting. The temperatures will be 90 and humid the whole month, and I don't have air conditioning, so ironing will occur in the morning. I'll go back to my kale based diet, and take Leo on lots of walks around the neighborhood. Spend some time getting over myself, and gearing up for going back to school in early August. 

Hope everyone is having a pleasant summer, and if you're reading this, I think you are FABULOUS.

7 comments:

  1. I've seen "The Tenth Mistake. . ." several times as one not to miss, Karen. Thanks for sharing a lot about it, sounds needed! I agree that the basketball book will be off the shelf constantly! Congratulations for a 26th year and finishing up some teacher requirements, having some good times even while grumpy! Enjoy the quilting & keeping cool as you can in July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have definitely made me want to read The Tenth Mistake of Hank Hooperman. I've added it to my hold list at the library.

    Also, just a little note of encouragement - I'm sorry that you haven't felt appreciated in the reading world. I haven't been around your blog as much, but I do want to say that when I'm checking out a middle grade book on Goodreads, I always read your review (often, it's the first I go to). I love that you list the strengths and weaknesses of every book and that you talk about your real-world experiences of whether or not the book will work on your shelves. As a bookseller, that's invaluable information. Just thought I'd let you know - I'm sure I'm not the only "silent" reader out there who really appreciates your reviews, but doesn't usually let you know it! (I need to get better about that.)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tenth Mistake is on my list of "read as soon as I can get a copy". I may not drop by every week, but when I do, I really enjoy reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wondered how many other states were requiring the Science of Reading coursework. Ours was only supposed to be 120 hours, but most complained it took over twice that long between all the quizzes, tests, video submissions, and other uploaded projects. I was delighted when I finished. I hear the math academy is next, for us. Eeek! Thank you for your fantastic reviews. I've placed The Tenth Mistake of Hank Hooperman on my request list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always check your reviews, even though I don’t comment often. I love your perspective on what kids really enjoy. I hope you have an amazing summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Tenth Mistake sounds like a book I'd really enjoy. Adding it to my list. Enjoyed your thoughts about it's strengths and weaknesses. You know, I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts in depth about what is being published and what your students really want to read. You work with kids and that info is important -- worth an article. Sorry I haven't been around much this past year, but dealing with a husband who is very ill. Am managing to review occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to read your review for the new Choldenko and discover that it's just as good as I was hoping it would be. I am hoping to get it from the library soon. It is hard not to have AC when it's 90 and humid. We close up very early and make liberal use of the blackout curtains to try to keep the heat out! I think I would have been pretty cranky about some of those courses. I love that you found a way to gamify and push yourself through it.

    ReplyDelete