Sunday, March 31, 2024

Mini Reading Marathon

How my process works. It's December 17th, and I'm trying to finish all of the March 2024 titles. I have an entry for every day in March, and 18 more books to read! It's gray and rainy, so I'm spending the day batting clean up. I wish I could buy all of the books, but funds and space are limited, so I need to purchase only what I think I can convince my students to read. My collection has a lot more funny books, sports novels and horror books than many, because I can't keep those on the shelves. There are some readers for historical fiction and fantasy, so I buy that genre if the books have something unique or interesting. It's very difficult for me to place sad books dealing with processing grief or anxiety (unless they are about children being abused; even my daughter enjoyed these!), quirky books with silly names (think Pinkwater), and novels in verse. I thought last year there was a growing interest in these, but I haven't seen it at all this year. 

I do read books quickly, and try to write reviews for about 80% of them, but I purchase only about 30% of what I read. I don't need to read books and remember every detail; I need to read EVERYTHING so I know what's out there and what to buy. Here's what I read during my mini marathon. 

Burg, Ann E. Force of Nature: A Novel of Rachel Carson
March 5, 2024 by Scholastic Press
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

In this wonderful novel in verse, we get a fictionalized account of the environmentalist and writer's whole life. There are lots of details about how she loved nature and writing, and a good overview of how she interacted with her family, including the death of her sister at a young age, which resulted in Carson having to help raise her nieces. I loved that she didn't think her sister should change her name when she got married! Carson is a fascinating historical figure; my daughter researched her for a wax museum in middle school, and I still have a can of air freshener somewhere with a paper lable that says "DDT" on it. I have several other books on Carson that don't circulate, so will probably pass on purchase. But how great is that cover?

March 12, 2024 by Aladdin
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Abby, who has struggled in the past with anxiety over the fact that her mother left, the remarriage of her father, and her new stepsister is at her school, is now dealing with Selly's reaction to a secret Abby revealed, as well as feeling distant from friends Vivi and Thea. She also can't seem to act appropriately around her crush, Mila, and even claims to be taking another girl to an event when Mila clearly wants to go with her. Add to this the pressure of trying to get into a winter clinic at the Canterwood Crest school taught by her idols, and it's no wonder Abby is finding it hard to concentrat on her riding. While I bought the first two books in this series, my horse book fans find them a bit too full of drama; they want more horse details. Debating purchase. If mean girls with horses go over well with your readers, this is an excellent series. 

Scrivan, Maria. All Is Nat Lost (Nat Enough #5)
March 5, 2024 by Graphix
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Nat is worried that her mother won't let her go to Philadelphia with her class, since she won't even let Nat bike around by herself very much. Of course, Nat leaves her bike outside and it gets stolen, so the other reason that she wants to go on the trip is that there is a bike for a prize for the scavenger hunt on the trip. Her parents agree, and she goes off with her classmates. They see a lot of sites, but Nat loses her phone in a park. She and Flo take off to look for the phone (and also Argyle, Flo's sock puppet) but don't have much luck. They can't find their class, but try to find things on the scavenger hunt by themselves. They manage to find their group right before the bus takes off, and manage to locate Nat's phone in the lost and found. Nat wins a yo yo in the drawing, but her friend wins the bike and gives it to Nat instead. 

I always have doubts about books that portray field trips where children run off (think Babymouse: School-Tripped) because whenever I go on the Washington, D.C. trip with students we are SO careful to account for everyone, but this is at least an interesting look at Philadelphia. Nat isn't my favorite, but my students love the books. 

Lee, Lyla. Gigi Shin is Not a Nerd
March 5, 2024 by Aladdin
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Gigi loves art and would love to go to somewhere like RISD or Tisch for college, but first she has to get through middle school. When she finds out about a summer art school, Starscape, she hopes that her parents will let her apply. It's expensive, and they work hard running a Korean grocery store, so would rather see her go into a different field. Gigi and her friends decide that they will try to raise money for the school by tutoring other students. Gigi keeps this secret from her parents, but they know about it anyway. They are concerned when she isn't doing well on her own school work because of the time she spends tutoring. When she gets into the summer program, she finally shows her parents her artwork. They feel she is very talented, and support her more than she expected. This was a fun, quick book, and would be a good choice for middle grade students who want to pursue art as a career. I wish, however, that there were more books with students who want to pursue math, science, or health careers. (Remember, I'm a bitter ex-Latin teacher who couldn't get a job in the field, so I'm all about useful, realistic career expectations.)

Brennan, Maggie. Kira and the (Maybe)Space Princess
March 5, 2024 by Random House Graphic
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Kira is hoping that junior high will be better, and that she will be popular, but classmate Tulip has gotten a familiar, and is now the cool, magical girl at school. This makes Kira insanely angry, but when a Catacorn crashes in her yard, Kira thinks that having this creature around might help her to be cool as well. I liked the message from the author about middle school being hard for everyone, but Kira has a Misako Rocks level of angst and anger that made this not to my personal liking. Middle grade readers who wear cat ear headbands and think life would be better if they just had their own unicorn will love this one. I'm just too old. 

Fong, Debbie. Next Stop 
March 19, 2024 by Random House Graphic
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Pia Xing's family has struggled since the drowning death of her younger brother while Pia was supposed to be watching him. Pia's mother is not dealing well, the family has moved, and on top of everything else, the father has broken his leg. He's arranged for a summer bus trip for him and Pia, but with his injury, he arranges for her to go on her own. There are many other people on the trip, including Sam, the operator's daughter, and the sites the group visits are fun. (A chicken shaped hotel, world's smallest corn maze, etc.) Pia hopes that when they get to Cessarine Lake, she will be able to make a wish to bring her brother back, especially after her mother is hospitalized for trying to hurt herself. Will the lake grant her wish, or will the family have to find some other way to recover from their grief?

I liked the illustration style, but parents who are struggling with grief so much that they don't properly parent children who are still alive is my least favorite type of middle grade story. It always feels unrealistic and insulting. Everyone else will probably like this one a lot. 

Baron, Chris, ed. On All Other Nights: A Passover Celebration in 14 Stories
March 26, 2024 by Amulet Books
E ARC Provided by Edelweiss Plus

Good book to have if Ali and Saeed's Once Upon an Eid: Stories of Hope and Joy by 15 Muslim Voices or Rosen's Coming of Age: 13 B'Nai Mitzvah Stories circulate well. 


Schmidt, Gary D., Ed. A Little Bit Super: With Small Powers Come Big Problems
April 23, 2024 by Clarion Books
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Goofy and quirky fantasy short stories about having odd powers. 

1 comment:

  1. Heh. When I go to career fairs I tell kids to be a plumber (or an accountant). I recently horrified a bunch of idealistic librarians by mentioning this, but I strongly agree with Ask a Manager that the idea of "following your dreams" is privileged nonsense. It's nice if you enjoy your job, but vocational awe is very damaging, especially to women in helping/educating professions.

    ReplyDelete