Monday, December 13, 2010

Weekend reading in the snow

Winter is upon us here in Ohio, which means no bike riding to work. Since I also have to get a crock pot full of bean dip and two bags of chips to work for tomorrow, my back pack was full of chips and I don't have the books I read with me. We'll go with two line reviews today.

Wolitzer, Meg. The Ten-Year Nap. Adult. At-home mothers whine. Suck it up or get jobs! I took nine years off.

Auch, M.J. Guitar Boy. Appalachian boy kicked out by father wants to play guitar. Decent but a bit quirky Southern.

Peck, Richard. Three-Quarters Dead. Girl's popular friends die and then haunt her. Glad to see Peck return to scary books.

Giles, Gail. Dark Song. Girl's family loses home, she takes up with abusive older boy. High school but good.

Barnes, Derrick. We Could Be Brothers. Two disparate inner-city boys realize they aren't that different.

Sullivan, James. Jeans : a cultural history of an American icon. Good, but needs more pictures.

Bartoletti, Susan Campbell. They called themselves the K.K.K. : the birth of an American terrorist group. Very well done, as is all of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment