Monday, January 02, 2012

The Game of Triumphs

Powell, Laura. The Game of Triumphs.
Cat, who is living in London’s Soho district with her young and disorganized aunt, is approached by a stranger to save him. When she investigates, she uncovers an elaborate role playing game based on Tarot cards, The Game of Triumphs, and accepts an invitation to play. Wanting to know more, she looks for information on Tarot at a fantasy supply store, the Dark Portal, where she meets Toby, who is also involved in the fame, and he enlightens her. Not only does the game allow people to go into Arcanum, another dimension, but if they win their card, they gain certain powers that transfer to real life. But not only are the rewards real, the dangers are as well, and Cat finds herself involved in this treacherous pursuit that had horrible implicationsc for her family in the past, yet she can’t stay away. The sequel, The Master of Misrule, comes out in 2012.
Strengths: Solid, modern day magical fantasy. I have five readers I could hand this to right now. Love that Ms. Powell studied Classics. At Oxford. *Sigh*
Weaknesses: My only concern about appeal of this book at the middle school level is that my students are not as aware of role playing games.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good choice for my role-playing middle schooler. Although I wouldn't say he is solidly in the center of the middle-school psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds brilliant. And you're right about the kids not getting role playing games; they just don't. And it's a travesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:27 PM EST

    Thanks! I will be sure to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put this one on my tbr list ages ago, although not exactly successfully (http://charlotteslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/09/few-things-i-find-interetesting-and-cry.html)

    I'm looking forward to it!

    ha--an omen! my random word is "gametr"

    ReplyDelete