Sunday, July 10, 2011

Let's all go to the library...

Things I have learned about my library experiences:
  1. When left to my own devices, I will check out almost exclusively adult nonfiction on pop culture topics. A new Barbara Eden memoir called Out of the Bottle? A history of paint-by-number sets? Books telling me to lower my standards as a mother and I'll be happier? I'll read it all. So if you see my number of books read go up, but don't see the reviews, it's because I've been distracted by things like Soda Pop! From Miracle Medicine to Pop Culture. It's my secret shame.
  2. It's really, really hard to find books for boys when I am browsing for books the way actual boys would. Normally, I spend at least an hour a day reading reviews and searching for titles that my male readers might like. I display these prominently in my school library. When I go to the public library and look at the new book shelves in the teen section, I come home with things like Babes in Boyland, Psych Major Syndrome and a variety of paranormal romance books. Are all the books for boys checked out, or are they just not there?
It's time to go back to school!

3 comments:

  1. I started to write a comment and it turned into a blog post...

    and I want the title of that history of paint by number sets!

    http://jeanlittlelibrary.blogspot.com/2011/07/finding-books-for-boys-at-library.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to go back to school?! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My STB's (2 of them) won't read anything beyond what they've already read during the summer. Old stand-bys.

    Elder STB told me today that he visited the HS library a total of 4 times last year. His implication was that it's a waste of space.

    ReplyDelete