Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Jennifer Holm's Middle School is Worse than Meatloaf

Was very much looking forward to this title, with its Conford/Danzigeresque title, loved the cover, but was temporarily put off by the format, which befits the subtitle, "A year told through stuff": IM's, notes on the refrigerator, 'articles' from teen magazines, bills, bank balances, etc. I usually hate that sort of thing, but as I kept reading, I really was able to get quite a complex story from all of this. There are a few poems to keep the reader on track, but I came away with the conclusion that this was really rather clever, and was something that reluctant readers might pick up.

This author also does the Babymouse books, which are primarily for younger readers. They are graphic novels, and while I have one at school, it's a hard sell to middle school girls.

The Creek is a wonderful suspense/mystery, and is checked out frequently by the girls who don't want to read mysteries but are big fans of Boston Jane. The Boston Jane books are great historical fiction.

Rounding up my Holm collection is Our Only May Amelia which has its fans. I am not in their number. Can't remember why.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:14 PM EDT

    Hello again!
    Just read a decent girly/fluffy book that I highly recommend. It's called "Oh Baby!" Weird title, I know, but it was good. There was some kissing, but nothing too serious, so it's definitely appropriate for middle school. I also finished reading the first Maximum Ride book by James Patterson and I'm waiting for the second book to come in at the library. I've got a few other books in line at the moment, so I'll give you the heads up on them ASAP!
    -Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking you mean the Randi Reisfeld one about two girls with nanny positions. Looks good! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete