Saturday, April 15, 2017

Cartoon Saturday- Ugly Cat &Pablo

32332948Quintero, Isabel and Knight, Tom. Ugly Cat & Pablo
April 25th 2017 by Scholastic Press
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Ugly Cat and his mouse friend, Pablo, decide that they will go to the local park where a food festival is being held. Ugly Cat loves paletas, and the two come up with a sure fire plan to get one. Pablo will scare a little girl, she will scream and drop her food, and the two friends can feast. Things go badly wrong when the little girl captures Pablo to feed to her pet snake instead of screaming! When Ugly Cat manages to free Pablo, the mouse mistakenly thinks the cat has decided to eat him. Will the two friends be able to work out their problems... and feast on chicharrones?
Strengths: I really enjoyed the pictures in this one, and it was a pleasant tale of an unlikely friendship. The touches of Latino culture were interesting. I can see this being very popular in elementary schools.
Weaknesses: It would have been nice to have a glossary of Spanish terms in the back; I could figure most of them out, but I did have to look up some.
What I really think: This is a bit too young for my students, but I did enjoy it.
Ms. Yingling

No comments:

Post a Comment