Monday, January 16, 2017

Tut: My Epic Battle to Save the World

29939208Hoover, P.J. Tut: My Epic Battle to Save the World
February 28th 2017 by Starscape
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

After saving the world in Tut: The Story of My Immortal Life,  Tut wants to spend his summer looking for his protector, Gil, who hasn't been heard from. His friend Henry, however, has decided that the two of them need to go to SCIENCE CAMP. Tut is not thrilled, although he feels a little bit better about it since Henry has a bit of a crush on Blair, whose father runs carnivals. Tut misses Tia, and curses the fate that made him perpetually 14 and awkward romantically! There's a bigger problem, though-- Apep is on the loose and probably not going to do Gil any good if the two run into each other. With the help of his support network (who knew there were so many ancient Egyptian deities in Washington, D.C.?) Tut realizes he must find the Sun Disk of Ra in order to thwarts Apep's plans. 
Strengths: This had a lot of middle grade humor, a nice romance, LOTS of action and adventure, and believable world building. The first book has been very popular with my students who have read all of Riordan's books and still want more mythology. I wouldn't mind one more book in the series. Henry "sneaking around" and trying to hide it from his parents was especially fun.
Weaknesses: Why does Apep want Gil? Why was Gil missing? I forgot some of the details that drove the story, but it didn't matter.
What I really think: I'm really interested to see what Hoover writes after this series. She has a good feel for middle grade, but I'd much rather see some stand alone titles!

No comments:

Post a Comment