Friday, May 27, 2016

#Bookaday-- Summer Refresh

Reading has been stressing me out. 

This is not something I've ever experienced, but since March I've felt behind. I review for any number of outlets-- School Library Journal, Young Adult Books Central, this blog, and I cross post at Goodreads. I have advance copies from Baker and Taylor, Netgalley, Edelweiss, and various publishers and publicists. As long as I read five books a day, I'm caught up. When I'm tired and spend my evenings watching Call the Midwife... not so much. 

Life has been getting in the way of reading-- you know, all of the spy training, missions, rehab with the new bionic foot. I don't like this. Reading should be something I enjoy, and when I'm tired and worried and on super secret spy missions that appear to the unobservant eye to consist of me taking my elderly father for colonoscopies and podiatrist appointments, reading becomes WORK.

So, taking a hint from Donalyn Miller's #Bookaday, I'm trying to relax, rejuvenate, and get back my reading mojo. And perhaps moisturize my hands, which take a beating during the school year. 

26252859One of the things I try to do in the summer is to read very popular books that have eluded my grasp during the school year. So yesterday, I read The Trials of Apollo.

And I'm not going to review it. You all need to buy it. Enough said.

If I'm tired of reading, I can't get my students excited. If I don't read ALL THE NEW BOOKS, I won't know what to buy for my school library and recommend to students. 

So my plan is this: I will read one book a day, review it, and take a deep breath. I'll take the dog for a walk and whip up some soy flour and flax seed meal bread. Hang out some laundry. Organize my cardigans in color order. Then, if I feel like reading another book, I will. If I don't, it's not the end of the world. 

How's YOUR reading mojo? What will you do to balance your reading life with your actual life this summer?

5 comments:

  1. Good luck regaining your mojo! I'm amused both by your reducing your reading to one a day and by your t-shirt collection. I also love to hang my laundry to dry outdoors in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a non-book-related job and a six year old, I NEVER feel caught up on my reading. But after a serious reading / blogging funk late last year I have been cutting myself some slack, only requiring myself to post one book review a week, and ditching the books that don't grab me, even if I thought that I would want to read them. Now, going into the summer, I'm more excited about reading. I would love it if I could read a book a day (not counting picture books). Though this is unrealistic, I will read when I can.

    Hope your summer brings you relaxation and also joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the Rick Riordan lots myself! It was awfully fun to read. Spring is hard for me reading wise, because there are so many other pulls on my attention, like Weeds. but I am hoping for a more peaceful June, where reading will fall more naturually into place. I hope it does for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you enjoyed The Trials of Apollo, I have plans to try and catch up on some of his series this summer with my kiddo. Hope you have a lovely summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently on a roll, finishing several books a week, but I do worry about burn out.

    ReplyDelete