Friday, January 17, 2014

Guy Friday-- Michael Vey

16074409Evans, Richard Paul. Battle of the Ampere (Michael Vey #3)
September 17th 2013 by Simon Pulse/Mercury Ink 

Michael and his friends are on the run after the events in book two, which blew up an Elgen Starxource plant and left most of Peru without power. It looks like he could be tried for treason or terrorism, even though he was just trying to rescue his mother. He has been injured, and recovers with the help of a tribe, and meets Tessa, who also is electric. Ostin and the others are trying to find him. In the meantime, Schema is trying to fend off a takeover by Dr. Hatch, who is turning out to be the more evil of the two. Eventually, after much running about, the Electroclan reunites, Michael and Taylor get to kiss, much food is eaten, and Hatch... will he be overthrown? Of course. But there is another threat to the safety of the Electroclan, so I'm sure that there will be a Michael Vey #4.
Strengths: This is a series that my students adore, and I don't quite know why. Mr. Buxton recommended it frequently, but even now that he is retired, the students are wild about it. Kids with powers, saving the world, running around, a little romance-- all good. There has also either been a lot of research into Peruvian culture, or Evans is making things up convincingly.
Weaknesses: One problem I had with this was too many characters, but other than that I can't put my finger on why this didn't thrill me. Perfectly good stuff, just not my cup of tea.


http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com
http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com
A whole bunch of food is described in the book, and now I really want to make causa. Basically, this seems to be a layered dish consisting of mashed yellow potatoes, tuna salad with onion, and chopped tomato and avocado. Roll it up, refrigerate, slice and serve. Perhaps this summer, when the tomatoes come on, I will try to make this.

And now I want to hunt down the first Cricket magazine and reread the wonderful Lloyd Alexander essay on books and eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment