Sunday, January 27, 2013

Nonfiction Monday-- Slam Dunks and Duct Tape

STAT #3: Slam Dunk - Library Edition: Standing Tall and TalentedStoudemire, Amar'e. Slam Dunk (Standing Tall and Talented #3)
1 January 2013, Scholastic
Copy recieved from Young Adult Books Central and reviewed there.

Amar'e is preparing for another tournament, and spending so much time practicing that his father is grumbling a bit that he doesn't help with the family lawn care business. The group of kids in the newest tournament are not very nice-- and when one purposefully pokes Amar'e in the eye, it puts him off the court for several weeks and causes him to have to wear geeky looking goggles. He puts the time to good use, though, putting his friends in charge of his training. He jogs with heavy back packs on, practices jumps, and gets a lot of conditioning in while letting his eye heal. Even his father recognizes how hard Amar'e is working-- but will it make a difference on the court?
Strengths: I am always a little conflicted about celebrity authors, but there is no denying that Mr. Stoudemire knows his basketball and knows the type of books that basketball playing boys like to read. While the celebrity factor might make some readers pick this up, the story is solid enough that it will be a continuing favorite. This read a bit like Matt Christopher-- some personal issues, some issues with friends, but definite sports goals and lots of play by play descriptions. The back of this book says that it appeals to 3rd-5th graders, but I think that 6th and 7th graders will also enjoy this series.
Weaknesses: I would have made the main character older-- elementary students would have still picked it up, but older students would have been more inclined as well. Small complaint.


The Kids' Guide to Duct Tape ProjectsBell-Rehwoldt, Sheri. The Kids' Guide to Duct Tape Projects
1 August 2011, Capstone

Bought this one at the request of several students and was not disappointed. Along with some decent duct tape projects, this book explains the intricacies of working with duct tape-- where to buy it, how to create "sheets" for larger projecter-- and is a good addition to my very small craft section. Can't get anyone to knit or quilt anymore, the macrame books are thankfully all relocated, so maybe this will entice a few students of both genders to embrace their crafty side!




It's Marvelous Middle Grade Monday at Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe and What Are You Reading? day at Teach Mentor Texts. Both sites have lots of links to reviews about books that are great for the 4th through 8th grader. It's also Nonfiction Monday, hosted this week at LaraSalas.com.

16 comments:

  1. I like the sound of both of these books. I plan to recommend the duct tape one to my son. He's thirty three, but he does love his duct tape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing the Duct Tape book. It sounds like something my students would love. I'm going to have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Duct Tape recommendation for some children I know and love who are fascinated by duct tape--you really can make some great projects!

    Stat sound like a Jake Maddux book which are great crowd pleasers for resistant-to-reading boys. I'll look for it.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two titles I'm not familiar with. I tend to read more for older students, so I appreciate the recommendations for middle grades. I'm especially interested in the duct tape book - can't wait to check that one out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter made an entire evening gown ensemble out of duct tape for a fashion show competition one summer when she was a teen. And my other daughter makes occasional duct tape accessories. Thanks for sharing this book! (I don't know who Stoudemire is, so the celebrity aspect is lost on me--have you read John Coy's middle-grade or ya sports novels?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:09 AM EST

    Slam Dunk is now on my to read list. And that book on duct tape projects for kids too...thanks for sharing both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids are crazy about duct tape - now that it comes in all these jazzy colors. Thanks for beinging this book to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Duct Tape Projects- wow! Happy to learn about this one, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have Slam Dunk for my b-ball loving boys. The Duck Tape books looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:56 AM EST

    What an interesting book. I like the cover! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely getting the duct tape book! My kids will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! I have several students who create duct tape art pieces - one even sells them at her father's art shows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't kids LOVE Duct tape? Great non-fic choices!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:17 PM EST

    Duct tape crafts--my daughter would have loved that when she was younger. She's a freshman in college now, but she might still like it. And her birthday is coming up . . . :)Thanks for the fun recommendations!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, I am definitely sharing your link with a good friend of mine who lives in Baltimore. His daughter makes art work using duct tape. Perhaps they already have this book, but maybe they don't. Definitely, they're going to enjoy this resource. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5:08 PM EST

    Here in Portland, OR, I see a lot of Duct Tape craft- wallets, mostly. It'll be interesting to see what the students make- or how it can be incorporated with other lessons!

    ReplyDelete