Sunday, January 20, 2013

I am George Washington

I Am #5: George WashingtonNorwich, Grace. I Am George Washington (#5)
1 December 2012, Scholastic
Copy Received from YA Books Central and reviewed there.

As much as I would like my students to pick up and read Carla Killough McClafferty's The Many Faces of George Washington: Remaking a Presidential IconI know that the length of that book is daunting to many. The books in this Scholastic I Am series are just the right length for 3rd through 8th graders to pick up and actually read the entire thing! Not only that, but they are fast paced and full of the most interesting bits of history about the person. The George Washington title is no exception. Unlike the Childhood of Famous Americans series that I so adored in elementary school, the I Am series discusses a little bit about the person's early years but is more concerned about their contributions to history. While I wasn't thrilled with the accompanying illustrations, they are a good addition for the target demographic, who might not have a mental picture of what the world looked like during Washington's time. With the new emphasis on nonfiction reading with the Common Core Standards, these books are a great way to get kids reading nonfiction without it feeling like nonfiction! If my own children were younger, I would certainly encourage them to buy these through the Scholastic flyers their teachers would send home.

Mia's Boiling Point (Cupcake Diaries, #10)Emma, smile and say "cupcake!" (Cupcake Diaries #11) Sometimes, I get tired. Not of reading, but of writing reviews. I have NOT wearied of the Cupcake Diaries series and really enjoyed these two, but decided to treat myself to not writing a review.

Also worked on a quilt for a baby shower instead of reading every second of the day I wasn't doing chores. Sometimes, it's important to mix it up a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment