Tuesday, February 14, 2012

CYBILS!!!

I know it says entire encyclopedia sets about how I need to get a life, but I sat bolt upright in bed at 11:50 p.m. last night and couldn't get back to sleep! I finally got up and checked the Cybils web site, only to find out they posted at 2:00 a.m. my time. I did go back to sleep but was up earlier than usual!

Here are the wonderful winners for middle grade divisions. See more over at Cybils.com.

Poetry
Requiem: Poems of the Terezin Ghetto by Paul B. Janeczko
Candlewick Press
Nominated by: Tricia Stohr-Hunt

Middle Grade Sci Fi/Fantasy
The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale
by Carmen Agra Deedy and Randall Wright; illustrations by Barry Moser
Peachtree
Nominated by: Monica Edinger

Middle Grade Fiction
Nerd Camp by Elissa Brent Weissman
Atheneum
Nominated by: Jennifer Donovan

Nonfiction
Amelia Lost: The Life and Disappearance of Amelia Earhart by Candace Fleming
Schwartz and Wade Books
Nominated by: Monica Edinger

And one Young Adult Fiction...
Young Adult Fiction
Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach
Sourcebooks Fire
Nominated by: Karen Yingling (me!)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:28 PM EST

    nah, we don't need to get lives do we? it is happy things like this that awaken us early. Sort of like Christmas for books, like YALSA award announcements and settling in early for the webcast so not a moment was missed....oh. I see what you say.

    Well yay for the cybils I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on picking a winner! That's always a bit heady... :-D I've got it on hold at the library now, and am looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't notice that you nominated the YA title! Congrats.

    I've nominated books that made the shortlist almost every year, and last year my nonfiction picture book nomination won, but I wasn't totally tied to it. I just didn't have one in that category and it was on the new books shelf at my son's library when I was in nomination mode, and voila. . .

    But Nerd Camp -- I knew right after reading it that it was Cybils material, but to be honest I was surprised (and SO delighted) that it won. I feel validated (and a bit vindicated too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read Stupid Fast. Fantastic choice. Really, really liked it. Nicely done. Agree about the language. I wish they'd consider it, but I guess I get why they don't, too. Really too bad for us, though.

    ALso read Where Things Come Back. Excellent pick, but the end left me wondering (as I'm sure it was supposed to).

    ReplyDelete