Sunday, October 30, 2011

Nonfiction Monday-- Built for Success

I have several of these Sara Gilbert titles (McDonalds, Starbucks, Google, Nike), and they have circulated so well that I have added several others. There are always some students who flinch at the thought of reading nonfiction, but the state standards, at least in Ohio, are certainly headed toward a lot more of this type of reading. Nonfiction doesn't have to be boring! I've worked to get rid of the moldy old 1950s science text books that were clogging the shelves in my library and fill them instead with fun topics. Hey, it's all the same skill whether the students are reading about the life of the Okapi or about Starbucks. If they get excited about reading about Starbucks, that's okay with me!

These are from Creative Education, a company which has a wide variety of interesting books.


Post a Comment

Template: Blog Designs by Sheila | Artwork: 123RF Stock Photos