Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Happy Read Across America Day!

Kudlinski, Kathleen. Dr. Seuss: Young Author and Artist.
Was waxing nostalgic for the Childhood of Famous Americans series the other day, and thought this was a timely choice. What was so appealing to me about all of these books was the coverage of every day life for a child at different points in history. Since Seuss was born in 1904, the treatment of German-Americans during World War I is given a lot of coverage, and I can't think of any fiction book that does this. This follows Seuss' career until his death in 1991, and doesn't shy away from difficult topics, such as his first wife's illness and subsequent suicide.

I would love to have a lot of these books in my library, but they wouldn't get read much. For an elementary library, I would definitely keep some around.

Visit Mrs. F-B's Book Blog , where they are having a Super Sock Celebration for Read Across America Day! She very kindly recommended this to me, so we are having one as well; Mrs. F-B, however, is more on the ball and will probably have pictures of hers!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip-off to my blog. always like a boost in visitors :-) Glad you also had a sock celebration. I really liked doing it b/c it was so cheap and easy and so many kids could participate without too much effort. The kids seemed to have a lot of fun with it, too. This may be my new go-to Seussabration. I do have pics, but I'm hardly more on the ball than you!

    ReplyDelete