Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

Ah, torn. So torn. London, which I love, balanced out by quirky/dysfunctional, which I don't. Ted's cousin Salim and his aunt come to visit before they are to move to New York. They plan to go up in the London Eye, but the line is long. When someone offers Salim a ticket, he gladly goes ahead... but doesn't come down when the ride is over. Where has he gone? Ted, who has Asperger's Syndrome, uses his "differently wired" mind to figure out the mystery by looking logically at a number of clues. While it is clear through Ted's descriptions of events and people that he does interact with the world in a different way, it is not overly quirky. Considering the number of students we have had with Asperger's, I think this is a welcome addition to yound adult fiction.

I always need mysteries, and any British fiction does well in my library. I was very saddened to find that Siobhan (pronounced shuh-VAWN) Dowd passed away in August of 2007.

http://www.siobhandowd.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment