Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Time, money and Tanglewreck by Jeanette Winterson


Having been forced to buy eight overhead projectors out of the hard-earned book fair money, money is a problem now, but I'm good on time. Seem to have enough. After reading Jeannette Winterson's Tanglewreck, I'm very glad, because I'm still trying to get my mind around it, since I've decided to add it to my list of purchases at some point in the dim future (or maybe yesterday, depending on how Time goes.)

While dealing with the same topic as Kate Thompson's The New Policeman (everyone seems to lack enough time), this is an edgier treatment. In Policeman, there is a fairly benign leak; in Tanglewreck there are people who are stealing time, using it for their own evil purposes, and causing time tornadoes and other disasters in the modern world.

Not a surprise is the fact that Silver, our heroine, is an orphan, and only she can save the world. She is given evil caregivers, some allies, and an indeterminate path to ultimate salvation. She travels through time and space (or are they one and the same?) and ultimately triumphs. Good stuff. Well-written, fast-paced, and intriguing enough to keep my hard-core fantasy fans reading for at least a week, scratching their heads and thinking "How was that again?"

Must pair this with the Michael Lawrence Withern Rise trilogy. Another great old house and thought provoking variances in time.

I think I'll go try to repair an overhead. Must be easier than repairing a gem encrusted Timekeeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment