Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Too young, too old

Vera Propp's When the Soldiers were Gone was written from the point of view of an 8 year old who doesn't really know what is going on-- he's been living with another family to survive the Holocaust and is reluctant to go beack to his real family. This will check out to 8th graders who have to read a Holocaust book--it's 101 pages.

Mordecai Richler's Jacob Two-Two meets the Hooded Fang irritated me tremendously-- again, too young for my audience. Six year old goes to buy tomatoes, gets scared by the shopkeeper, falls asleep in the park and dreams that he is in a children's prison. Just didn't get into it at all.

Coburn's LoveSick is liberally sprinkled with the f-word, so there is no way I am going to buy it, no matter how interesting a story it is. Thanks, though, for using it on page one. That helps. I can stop reading.

Looked forward all day to Pierce's Wolf Speaker, but didn't like is as much as I thought I would. The print was really small. I think I was just tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment